My original intention was to make a quick Fallout post about a week ago, but much like everyone else on the Internet, this game has consumed a large part of my free time. Overall, Fallout 4 certainly feels like a Fallout game both atmospherically and mechanically. In fact, it feels almost exactly like Fallout 3/New Vegas but with newer graphics and gameplay tweaks; I mean that statement by the way in the most positive and sincere way. The scavenging aspect and the challenge of surviving in the wasteland is something that Fallout 4 holds true to, especially with the addition of the settlements.
- Mobs are harder than I remember and have distinct AIs: Feral Ghouls jump around and rush at you, humans with fire from cover, Boat Flies zig zag erratically, etc. There are also legendary enemies in the game that are more difficult but offer rare items.
- The PC user interface is pretty bad and is clearly a console port.
- The base building is fun, but is again, hindered by the user interface.
- I am satisfied with the graphics. I’m not sure what all the complaining is about.
- So far, I have been lucky in the sense that most of the bugs that I have encountered have been relatively minor and easy to work around. Other people however, have experienced constant crashing; Some of which hindering players from progressing with the main quest line.
The jury is still about on my full opinion of the game; That will have to wait until I finish the main story line. That said, the fact that I have already spent about 40 hours playing Fallout 4 yet feel that I have barely scratched the surface says a lot I guess.